The Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall

This great building was built in honour of the Chinese military and political leader, Chiang Kai-shek, who moved his office to Taiwan where he resumed his duties as the President of the Republic of China after China fell to the communists in 1950.

Following his death in 1975, the Memorial Hall was erected as a tribute to him and was opened to the public in 1980. It is framed by attractive gardens and by the National Theatre and the National Concert Hall. The main building has a white exterior and features an octagonal roof in blue tile that along with the garden’s red plants reflect the colours of the national flag. Two sets of 89 stairs leading up to the entrance signify the age at which Chiang Kai-shek died.

A large bronze statue greets you in the main hall guarded by military personnel. There is an impressive ceremonial changing of the guard, on the hour every hour, with the Taiwanese infantry, air force and navy alternating guard duties every four months.

There are five display rooms which feature paintings, photographic displays, military uniforms, medals, manuscripts and artefacts that illustrate Chang Kai-shek’s life. There is also a room displaying his two presidential cars and a room featuring a reconstruction of his presidential office.

Guided tours are available in English but must be booked in advance. There is a gift shop in the main building and a café near the main gate. The museum is open daily from 9am to 6pm and entrance is free. It can be reached easily by the MRT metro on the Tamsui Line (the “Red” line) from Taipei Main Station to Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Station.